Orange and Fennel Salad with Almond Flakes and Goat's Cheese
I am the kind of person, if you presented me with a problem, I have no choice, but to find you a solution! After the conversation with Cecelia, instead of going back to sleep, I kept thinking about what can I teach her to make for her dinner party. Something that is so simple to make, but would make a beautiful impression to her friends at the dinner...
I have a vision of something elegant and refreshing...(I was actually thinking of a dish that represents the personality and character of Cecelia!) She is an elegant lady, and very colourful character..I want to teach her to make something that requires very little cooking skills, something with limited colour palette...and predominately white...
I think an orange and fennel salad would be a beautiful starter for her dinner party!
To make the salad, you will need the followings:
- 2-3 Medium or large orange (or grapefruit if you prefer some strong flavours) - cut away the skin and separate the flesh. Set aside in a bowl. Squeeze the orange juice from the remain of the oranges in another bowl.
- 1 large fennel bulb - thinly sliced (keep it fresh by putting the sliced fennel in a bowl of cold water and half of the lemon juice.) (Drained the fennel from the water completely just before you assemble the salad)
- A generous handful of red radishes - washed and sliced to rounds
- A small bunch of flat leave parsley - thinly sliced (if the fennel bulb comes with it feathery leaves, keep it as the garnish)
- Goat's cheese - break into small chunks
- A Generous handful of almond flakes
- 1 tbsp Honey (or sugar)
- 1 Lemon (use half of the juice for the fennel soaking water, and the other half for the salad dressing)
- Salt (to taste) for the salad dressing
- 2-3 tbsp Olive oil
First, prepare the salad dressing. In a bowl, mix the orange juice, olive oil, salt and honey. Whisk thoroughly. Add a pinch of the sliced parsley leaves. Adjust the seasoning to your taste. Set it aside.
Put the orange segments, drained fennel slices, sliced red radishes and parsley in a large salad bowl. Pour the salad dressing and gently coat everything with it.
In a large white serving plate, layout the orange and fennel salad artistically...with all the different colours distributed evenly. Sprinkle generously the almond flakes and goat's cheese. Garnish with the fennel leaves (or parsley leaves).
DONE! So simple! IT is a perfect colour combination for these dull and grey Autumn days. The refreshing taste and colours on the plate will really brightening up your day, I am quite sure about it!